Saturday, June 23, 2012

Authority

22 June 2012       

Matthew 28:18 And Jesus came and said to them, "All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me.

In the past few days I have been thinking about the word authority and what does it mean, especially in regard to my work, my home, my life. Authority has also to do with power, and if I have authority and no power to exercise that authority I will not be able to use that authority. If I have the power but not the authority to use that power then my power cannot be legitimate.

Jesus Christ came into my life to restore my authority, and to bring His authority to bear upon my life, so the authority that I do have over who I am and the world I live in comes from Jesus. Not only do have authority, I also have the power to exercise that authority in and through the Holy Spirit, how I exercise this must be a reflection of the One who has authorized me. So I have my authority, given to me with mercy and grace, empowered in love, to become who Christ has authorised me to be, a son of the living God.

So too does your authority flow from the throne of Grace, to be who God has called you to be. It is this authority that gives to you the power, the power to choose, the power to do right and not wrong, the power to love or to hate, a power to accept others or reject. When we use the power outside of our authority, we usually end up giving our authority away to the situation and the world, rather than using the power within our God-given authority.

Be encouraged to reflect on the authority you do have, and the power God has given you.
 
David
 
Point to ponder: You have God’s authority to be you.

Question to consider: Do you allow others to take away or steal your authority?

No comments:

Post a Comment